This banana bread is my great grandmother’s recipe except for a single addition, a little trick I learned in Hawaii. It has Cocoa Nibs added. They are pure chocolate which does not have any sugar or butterfat added. They do not melt, but remain crunchy and full of chocolate flavor.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
- 2 cups self rising flour, plus more for pan
- 4-5 medium very ripe bananas peeled and mashed
- 1/2 cup full fat yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup cocoa nibs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Mash bananas and stir in the yogurt/sour cream and vanilla
- Using a mixer beat the butter, add eggs one at a time, beating till fluffy.
- Blend remaining ingredients in a bowl and using the mixer beat in a little at a time till fully blended.
- Place in a buttered and floured bread pan.
- Bake for 70 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve with sweet butter!