You are going to LOVE this. It is so good, full of herbs, honey, saffron and grilled chicken… flavor, flavor and more flavor! the original inspiration came from the fabulous cook book, Jerusalem. I added more herbs and changed the oranges to blood oranges.
This is easy. You can do it with blood oranges, regular oranges or tangerines. The honey, saffron and reduced orange pieces make for a fabulous sauce/dressing. This serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as a meal.
- 1/4 cup of your favorite honey
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 teaspoon of saffron threads
- 2 TBS champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups (or more to cover oranges) water
- 2 chicken breast halves (boneless/skinless)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 TBS Sumac
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 2 small fennel bulbs sliced thinly
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves torn
- 1/2 cup basil leaves chiffonade
- 1 red chile thinly sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees If using a grill, start it.
- Trim and top the oranges. Cut one into wedges of 8ths with the skin on, remove the peel and make supremes on the other. Reserve the supremes for the salad.
- Place the 8ths of orange into a saucepan with the honey, saffron, vinegar and water to cover the orange pieces.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for about an hour, till a thick syrup forms.
- Allow to cool slightly then put into a food processor and process till a thick syrup results. You may need to add a tiny bit more water.
- Put the chicken on a grill pan or grill and sear till golden and char marks form (2-3 minutes per side, then put in the oven to finish, till interior measures 150 degrees and then remove and allow to cool.
- When cool enough, tear apart chicken into bite size pieces, add to a large bowl and then add the herbs, oranges, fennel, chiles, lemon juice and the orange syrup. Toss, add remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pingback: Saffron, Blood Orange, Chicken, Fennel and Herb Salad | My Manhattan Kitchen