I made two coleslaw recipes for Superbowl… one was a red cabbage slaw and the other was this North Carolina Slaw… goes great with Eastern Carolina BBQ too!
Here is the simple recipe:
- 1/2 cup of cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil (optional but I find it makes the salad smoother tasting)
- 4 tablespoons sugar or agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds (optional)
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon of Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 head green cabbage
Mix all ingredients except the cabbage together and stir well till the sugar is dissolved.
Shred the cabbage. I use the slicing blade on my food processor, but you can slice by hand or with a grater that has a slicing blade. You do not want this to be grated in small pieces as with a creamy cole slaw.
20-30 minutes before serving toss the dressing with the cabbage and chill till serving time, toss again and add more black pepper.